The Power of Touch

Greetings Dear Family and Friends,     I pray that this message will in some way encourage your hearts, and that you will feel the very presence of our Lord as you read through the verses of His Word.  Linda

The Power of Touch

Tiny fingers gripping my one.  Little hands holding mine while giggling over a game of peek-a-boo. Time moves on and little hands clasp tightly as we walk to the park. Hands that cuddle and squeeze, draw and mold, caress and stroke. Bursting into the room, bouncy, trouncy across the floor, throwing arms and hands around me as together we fall to the floor in outbursts of laughter. Sad, broken hearts that weep with sorrow, grieving a loss, needing strong, secure hands to comfort. Growing hands that hug and embrace, express and share. Strong arms and hands that console and protect, hold and steady, and hug. All with the tenderness of love. Touch. The power of human touch. The many messages that touch can express, the comforts that it contains, the­­­­­­ healing that it promotes. The magical moments of human touch that imprint on our minds and create lasting memories.

Daddy and Son
Josiah and his Great-Grandma

Aunt Heather with Josiah
cousins

During these days of the social isolation caused by Covid-19, I have been very concerned about the lack of human touch for many that we know. My husband’s mother is 100 years young, living in an assisted care home and she, like many others, has spent months in isolation. Families ache over the separating distance, regardless of the actual proximity to each other. Colleagues and students work from home. Playgrounds are mysteriously silent of laughing children and boisterous games of tag. We each live in our own little bubble, trying hard to keep from breaking the invisible barrier that somehow keeps us safe. But the expense of isolation is loneliness, fear, worry, depression, and the lack of human touch.

As I have listened to personal stories and read about the skyrocketing demand for counseling and therapists, I have started to consider how many times the “touch” of Jesus was recorded in the Bible and how that touch manifested itself. Join me on a quick look at the power of Jesus’ touch.

Mat 8:2 And, behold, a leper came to him and knelt before him, saying, Lord, if thou will, you can make me clean. 8:3 And Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, I will; be clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.”

Mat 8:14 “And when Jesus was come into Peter’s house, he saw his mother-in-law lying sick with a fever. 15 He touched her hand, and the fever left her, and she rose and began to serve him.

Mat 9:18. While he was saying these things to them, behold, a ruler came in and knelt before him, saying, ‘My daughter has just died, but come and lay your hand on her, and she will live.’……

Mat 9:25 But when the crowd had been put outside, he went in and took her by the hand, and the girl arose.”

In both Mat 9:21 and Mark 5:25 we read about the lady who had suffered for years with an issue of blood. Silently, hoping that no one within the crowd would notice, she reached out to touch just the hem. “For she said to herself, ‘If I only touch his garment, I will be made whole.’ But Jesus knew that touch. Vs 22 “Jesus turned, and seeing her he said, ‘Take heart, daughter; your faith has made you well.’ And instantly the woman was made well.”

Matthew 14 tells us of the terrified disciples when they saw Jesus walking across the sea during the fourth watch of the night. 27 “But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.” And Peter answered him, “Lord if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.”  29 He Said, “Come.”  So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

Immediately after this event we learn in Mat 14:36 of the greeting by the people in the region of Gennesaret. Jesus and his disciples disembark in this area after crossing the sea. Vs 35 “And when the men of that place recognized him, they sent around to all that region and brought him all who were sick 36 and implored him that they might only touch the fringe of his garment. And as many as touched it were made well.”

Mark 3:10 “For he had healed many; so that all who had diseases pressed around him to touch him.”

Mark 6:56 “And wherever he came, in villages, or cities, or countryside, they laid the sick in the marketplaces, and implored him that they might touch even the fringe of his garment. And as many as touched it were made well.“

Mark 8:22 “And they came to Bethsaida, And some people brought to him a blind man and begged him to touch him. 23 And he took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village.  ….  25 Then Jesus laid his hand on his eyes again; and he opened his eyes, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly.”

Luke 6:19 “And all the crowd sought to touch him, for power came out from him and healed them all.”

God’s Word records true account after true account of the healing power of Jesus’ touch. But what we dare not forget is that while Jesus did come to heal the physical body for some, He came to heal and restore the spiritual body for all who would believe. Past, present, and future.

Oh Lord, We come to you in awe at the power of your touch. May we realize that the power of your living Word is still with us today. When we are feeling lonely, alone, or unheard, may we go to your Word and be lifted by your Spirit as you speak to us and touch us through the pages of your story. Your Word tells us to not fear or be dismayed, that you will never leave us or forsake us. (Deut 31:8) Lord, I also pray that fellow believers will step in and be the human hands and feet that you call upon to meet the needs of those in our midst.  May we have strong arms that show love to each other by being the body of Christ that you have called us to be. Help us to touch others through whatever way you call us to reach out and minister to our families, friends, and our neighbors in need.

Blessings to you. May you feel God’s very presence and his personal touch upon your life.

Linda