Unprepared and at Peace

One unpacked suitcase still lays across the bed while another is laid out in preparation for our upcoming trip to Zambia.  Still experiencing jetlag due to last week’s return from our school in Lisbon, Portugal, we find ourselves focusing on packing and preparing for the Africa trip. While we still have many items to complete and check off, the reality is that planning the trip is moving smoothly. The cloudy, or maybe I should say murky, situation is knowing exactly what our team will DO upon arrival. It’s not that this hasn’t been considered. It’s actually quite the opposite. After much pondering, puzzling, and deliberating, we now realize we must wait to know. After fifteen years of experience with professional development, this is the most challenging assignment I have experienced. Supporting school staff from a culture unlike North American and European cultures demands observation and waiting. We praise the Lord that through the work of the Holy Spirit, the curriculum for this needy school has been purchased, sorted, and packed. Money was raised to build much-needed preschool and kindergarten classrooms, and we hope to see the progress of the building during our time at the school. Our team’s schedule for teaming and working with the staff each day has been organized and shared. 

So, what is unprepared? We still don’t know exactly HOW we will teach reading.  How will we introduce students to reading who have never held a reading book? How will the students understand our American English accent when they are used to British English mixed with their tribal language of Nyanga? And most importantly, how will we ensure that we respect the Zambian collective culture when our team’s only experiences are teaching in an individualistic culture? How can we unite both worlds to make a difference for this wonderful but poverty-stricken school’s dedicated, hardworking staff and students?

We have prayed that, as a team, we will set aside our predetermined teaching expectations. We must be willing to go with minds prepared to be learners. We must have hearts willing to learn from staff and students. We must allow the Holy Spirit to open our eyes and minds to a new work we have not yet envisioned.  And we must be willing to wait for this to occur at the right time. 

Yes, I, the planner, the visionary, the one who works on the details until the last minute before presenting, am at peace in the wait. I praise the Lord, for this is not of me but of His work in my heart. If it were the normal me, I would have power points prepared, handouts packed, and working away on my computer daily. But, there will be no computers, internet, or copy machines. Instead, our team and I must pray for relationship-building and inspiration that can only come from the Holy Spirit. How can I be at peace when so much is invested in this process? I rely on the fact that my Lord has been faithful in the past; therefore, I can trust in His leading for the future.

The Spirit of the Lord gave wisdom and skill for the work of the Tabernacle. Exodus 35:30 – 36:1 “Then Moses said to the people of Israel, “See, the LORD has called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah: and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, with intelligence, with knowledge, and with all craftsmanship,…He has filled them with skill to do every sort of work done by an engraver or by a designer or by an embroiderer in blue and purple and scarlet yarns and fine twined linen, or by a weaver – by any sort of workman or skilled designer. Bezalel and Oholiab and every craftsman in whom the LORD has put skill and intelligence to know how to do any work in the construction of the sanctuary shall work in accordance with all that the LORD has commanded.”

The Spirit provides the leadership of His choosing in His timing. Num 27:18 “So the LORD said to Moses, “Take Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay your hand on him.”

1 Sam 16:13 “Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers. And the Spirit of the LORD rushed upon David from that day forward.” 

Ecc 2:26 “For to the one who pleases him God has given wisdom, and knowledge and joy,”

Moses was fully aware that he depended entirely on God’s guidance.  Exod 33:15 “And he said to him,  “If your presence will not go with me, do not bring us up from here.”

Christ himself foretold the coming of the Holy Spirit or helper. John 14:26 “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.” 

John 16:7 “Nevertheless, I tell you the truth; it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.”

The physical temple was destroyed long ago. However, we are encouraged that as believers in Jesus, the Holy Spirit resides within us.  1 Co 6:19 “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,” 

Yes, the teaching process might not yet be clear, but we can move forward with peace, knowing He will provide the wisdom and skill needed in His perfect time. We know with confidence that we will be forever changed because of this experience.

Please join us in prayer for this Zambian ministry.

Dear Father,

Thank you for this priceless opportunity to share time, talents, and resources with our dear colleagues in Zambia. We praise you for your goodness. We thank you in advance for the success and the outcomes of this precious fellowship of educators. In boldness, we come before your throne, asking for your blessing on this partnership and that the outcomes of this collaborative work will change the lives of these students forever. We pray that you will bring forth leaders from this school who will serve you and display integrity and compassion. We are aware, Lord, of our dependence upon you. We ask that you will do a great work and, through these students, bring forth positive and lasting change for the Zambian people.

In the name of Jesus, we pray, Amen.

We will appreciate your prayers for our team: Chuck, Jess, Kristin, Linda, Stephanie, Tina, and Mapalo School Headmaster, Shelly