The Blessings of Rest

Webster defines rest as: “a bodily state characterized by minimal functional and metabolic activities, a freedom from activity or labor, a state of motionlessness or inactivity.”

Doctor’s orders were to rest. Returning from our very active, much planned and anticipated trip to see and hike the two National Parks in Hawaii, preparations immediately began for my  planned surgery. Now 1 week after surgery I find myself struggling to follow doctor’s orders. My body likes and feels a need to move (my husband jokes that I have ADHD). That is why our vacations or mini getaways typically include miles of hiking or walking. Over our 21 days in Hawaii we walked/hiked over 120 miles. I thank the Lord for the health and ability to do this, but there are also times when our bodies need a time for restoration, for rest. Now, following surgery this is one of those times.  The body needs time to heal.

Two days ago I spent most of the day pulling together thoughts as I was writing a rough draft for my (almost) monthly devotional. My projected title,  The Blessings of Work. It’s interesting how our life circumstances, whether frustrations or joy, dictate our thoughts. My anchor scripture: Gen. 2:15 “The LORD God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to work it and keep it.”   Work was given to Adam and Eve before the fall of man.  Work is in fact a blessing both physically and mentally. However, God also provided the perfect balance, that of set aside time for rest. That afternoon and the following day several daily devotionals came my way regarding the importance of rest.  Don’t you just hate it when that happens! I realized that I needed to wait and reflect upon why “work” was so important to me. Why was rest, even when it has been ordered, so difficult for me to comply with? 

In the book of Exodus God calls the Israelites to a day of rest, a day of Sabbath. In the Old Testament the importance of rest is both modeled and commanded by God.

Rest is modeled in Genesis 2: 2-3

“And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.”

God certainly did not need to rest. He modeled a day of rest for the benefit of humankind. A day set aside to reflect on the goodness of God.

Rest is commanded in Exodus 31:15 

“Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD. …”

In Hebrew, holy means to set apart. The sabbath was given to us as a gift. It is a day set apart, different from the everyday grind. It is to be a day to focus on our Holy God, our faithful provider and a time of restoration during which we can enjoy spiritual moments of peace and joy. 

Not only were the Israelites commanded to set aside the seventh day of each week as a Sabbath, but also a Sabbath for the land. Conservation didn’t begin with modern day agricultural scientists. God commanded rest for the land so that the soil would have time to replenish.  

Resting

I too need to replenish, and so do you. Instead of looking upon this time as an inconvenience to my longing for activity I needed to change my perspective. Instead of “frustration” I am learning to see the positives. This time of rest has given me extra time to study God’s word, the opportunity to read articles and books on various subjects, and get back to my Portuguese language lessons. The gift of time has allowed me moments to send notes to friends and quiet moments to simply watch the birds off our deck. There have even been times for an occasional nap. 

Even though my body prefers to move, this rest has been good for the body and a spiritual spa, restoring the soul.

Psalm 37:7a “Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;…”

Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

Dear Father, Thank you that you know best what our bodies need. Thank you for the moments, hours, and sometimes days that you set us aside to rest. Thank you for healing time for both the body and soul. Thank you that this set aside time has allowed for reflection. May my time with you be a renewal of my love for you and all the marvelous wonders that you have provided. 

Resting in You,   

Amen