Blessings To You

Hello Dear Friends in Christ. I pray that you will in some way be encouraged by this weeks devotional.

Blessings To You

I am always amazed when the Lord stops me in my tracks and causes me to ponder a truth about His Word. Lately my mind has been considering the word, “blessing.” Do you, or someone that you know, use greetings or salutations such as, ‘Blessings,’’ or “Blessings to you?” Have you ever stopped to question exactly what the word “blessing” really means?  For the longest time I thought that yes, God can bless people, but how in the world can people bless God? The idea of sinful mankind “blessing” the creator of the universe not only didn’t seem possible, it seemed arrogant that we would even think that we could. But, I am learning the possibilities.

Dictionary.com defines bless as: “1. To consecrate or sanctify by a religious rite; make or pronounce holy. 2. To request of God the bestowal of divine favor on: ie. Bless this house.”

This same site defines blessing as: “1. the act or words of a person who blesses. 2 A special favor, mercy, or benefit. 3. A favor or gift bestowed by God, therefore bringing happiness. 4. The invoking of God’s favor upon a person. 5. Praise; devotion; worship, especially grace said before a meal.”

With these definitions as common ground, let’s examine a few places in scripture where the words bless, or blessing are used. According to The New International Bible Dictionary we find that:

God blesses nature (Gen 1:22), mankind (1:28), the Sabbath (2:3), nations (Psalm 33:12), classes of men (1:1-3, and individuals (Gen 24:1).

As I have tried to mine the meaning of bless and blessing, I have come to understand how the giver of the blessing, with the exception of when God blesses, is typically not the one who executes the blessing. This very special act of love, blessing a person or group of people, can only ever be accomplished by God. The people of God pray for blessings for other people of God. Only God is the one who blesses. With this in mind let’s again examine a few other places in scripture where these two words are used.

Again, using The New International Bible Dictionary we find that:

Godly men should “bless” God. They do this by adoration, worship and praise to Him. (Psalm 103:1-2). The same word is used for what a worshiper offers to God (blessing) and seeks from him (blessing). When we “bless” God, we bring his glories before our mind and respond in worship and adoration; when we ask him to “bless” us, we invite him to call our needs to mind and respond in meeting them.

Godly people by words and actions can bestow blessings on their fellows (Matt 5:44;1 Pet 3:9).

In Bible times, godly men under inspiration bestowed prophetic blessings on their progeny; Noah blessed Japheth and Shem (Gen 9:26-27). Jacob blessed the tribes of Israel (ch 49), and Moses also blesses them (Deut 33).

The people of God pray for blessings, for other people of God. Only God is the one who blesses.

In my understanding, the response of blessing God should be a natural part of a believer’s life.  Waking in the morning and giving thanks and/or praising our Lord and Savior for the small and the big. But it is more than that. When we bless God we “bring his glories before our mind.” We can call upon his name and repeat back His Word to Him. We can consider his attributes and praise him for his omnipresence, omniscience, perfection, grace, mercy and on and on. We can sing, we can have a thankful spirit. “Thank you, Lord for a good night’s sleep!” Is a phrase I so appreciate being able to say when I fall asleep quickly and stay asleep during the night! If you are a fellow insomniac, you will know how true and thankful a statement such as this is.  However, I have not blessed God if I have not considered the attributes that are found in only him. I also need to remember to thank him for his creation that included the night, for the opportunity for our bodies to rest, recuperate, recover and revive.

Writers of God’s Word throughout the New Testament often blessed the recipients of their letters in the greetings that they penned.

In the book of Romans, Paul blesses the early believers in Romans 1:7, “To all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints; Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”

We don’t always have to use the words “bless” or “blessings.” Paul begins each of his letters, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians blessing the readers with these words: “Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”  1 Thessalonians greets the readers with “Grace to you and peace.” 2 Thessalonians 1:2 states, “Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”  Paul writes specifically to Timothy, encouraging this young pastor. 1 Timothy 1:2 “To Timothy, my true child in the faith; Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.”  Paul slightly alters his greeting in his second letter to Timothy, “To Timothy, my beloved child; Grace mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.”  In his letter to Titus, Paul again expresses his deep care for the recipient: “To Titus, my true child in a common faith; Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.” The letter to Philemon also begins by addressing the recipients of the letter and this common greeting of encouragement. Notice that Paul doesn’t use the word bless or blessing, but his intention includes calling upon the Lord and asking his favor upon the recipients of the letters.

Jude, brother of James, begins his letter to a group that aren’t specifically mentioned by name or location, but instead are addressed by their common faith. Jude 1b -2. “To those who are called, beloved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ; May mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you.”

These same writers sometimes ended their letters with what might be called both a blessing to God mixed with a blessing to fellow believers.  Jude 24 is an example of this. “Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen”

Dear friends, May we learn from this pattern of greetings and closings, that we have a powerful tool of ministry in the very act of blessing. We too can call upon our Lord for His power, love, grace and peace to meet the needs of our friends and loved ones that we meet. May we realize that even a blessing can be used as a special moment of ministry. A place where we can point to Christ as a way of encouraging fellow believers or provide a momentary focus for non-believers to the one true God.

Lisbon at sunrise

Dear Jesus,

Thank you for your Word and the way that you provide daily manna for our souls. For your Word tells us how you …”rained down on them manna to eat and gave them the grain of heaven.” Psalms 78:24 Your Word is sustenance for our souls. “I will ponder all your work, and meditate on your mighty deeds.” (Psa 77:12) “I will lift up my hands toward your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on your statutes.” (Psa 119:48)

Lord we call upon you, asking for peace in our hearts during these times of uncertainty. We pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ and ask that you would protect them from illness and evil. Encourage them to stay true to you. Together, as family in the Lord, we praise and bless your glorious name joining the Psalmist saying, “Bless our God, O Peoples; let the sound of his praise be heard.     Amen

“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.” (Num 6:24-26)

Blessings to you,   Linda