The Plans of Man

The Plans of Man

Don’t you just hate it when plans don’t work out as expected. This past month has been a series of plans that fell through, one after another. A much anticipated trip to see our son and family turned into 2 weeks of illness and recovery for all of us. Our plans for work around the house, fishing with the family, spending time with my sister and her husband, were all scratched in a moment’s notice. Our date to head home was planned around an appointment which was canceled after we left. The graduation invitation for our granddaughter was altered to only the immediate family because of the weather. The birthday celebration for a grandson was postponed due to illness.

We have all been there. While our changes in plans were not at all what we had envisioned, they were simply inconveniences. Many have faced plans or dreams that were cut short due to a terrifying diagnosis, the loss of a loved one, a severe injury or need for surgery, a marriage that is crumbling, children who have gone astray. The list could go on and on. Our altered plans were insignificant in comparison to what some have endured.

Our inconveniences included 3 weeks of plans that were tossed into the air and vaporized in a moment’s notice. We had a choice for each one, we could be frustrated by it, or we could find the good in the moment and have a grateful heart for the sweet times that we did have, the extra time with grandchildren, the quiet, intimate conversations with loved ones. None of these would have occurred in the rush and hustle of normal daily life.

God’s Word reminds us of the futility of our plans.

Plans of man:

Proverbs 16:1 “The plans of the heart belong to man,

but the answer of the tongue is from the LORD.”

Luke 16:16-21 – “And he told them a parable saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ 

But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”

In contrast the plans of the Lord are always sure.

Psalms 33:10 – “The LORD brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; he frustrates the plans of the peoples.”

Psalms 33:11 – “The counsel of the LORD stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations.”

Isaiah 25:1 “O LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you; I will praise your name, for you have done wonderful things, plans from of old, faithful and sure.”

Proverbs 16:9 “The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.”

Proverbs 19:21 “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.”

In the epistle of James we are reminded that our plans should always be held with a loose hand. 

James 4:15 “Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.”

How can we be a light to the world if we rant and rage with frustration over changes in our plans? May the Lord help us to instead accept each challenge with humility, knowing in our hearts that He is good, that He wants what is best for us. May we be a reflection of God and His goodness.  While our plans have gone astray in our minds, none of this was a surprise to our all-knowing God. The Lord will help us to declare as Job did, Job 1:21 “And he said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.”

Help us to join the Psalmist in his praises, Psalm 106:1 – “Praise the LORD! Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!’

Psalm 113:2 “Blessed be the name of the LORD from this time forth and forevermore!”

Dear Heavenly Father,

We have so much to be thankful for. We praise you for the good things that you have done. Help us to not be frustrated when our planning goes astray. Help us to instead see your hand at work moving us on a different path, possibly protecting us, or in some way directing us to do your will. Thank you that you do establish our steps and that nothing is a surprise to you, but that it is your purpose that will stand firm.

In the name of Jesus we pray,

Amen