How Thirsty are You? May email ministry message

How Thirsty are You?

Being a water lover, one of the most inviting places for me on a warm summer day is an undisturbed pool of water. This can be a lake, a deep pooling along a section of a river, or a backyard pool. Sparkling in the sun, it invites me in with a promise to cool the body from the intensity of the blazing summer heat. On a hot, hot summer day, nothing satisfies like cool, refreshing water. Water that cools the tongue and calms the throat. Water that quenches indescribable thirst. Water that rains down my head, cooling and reviving my body to its very core. Water that cascades off of me as I stand in the never-ending fountain of a mountain waterfall. Water that engulfs me as I dive into the blueness of an inviting, sparkling, surface smooth pool. Water.

PSALM 42:1 “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.”

Every time I hear this verse, no matter what version of the Bible, my heart and mind go straight into the song, As the Deer by The Maranatha Singers.

“As the deer panteth for the water

So my soul longeth after thee

You alone are my heart’s desire

And I long to worship thee

You alone are my strength, my shield

To you alone may my spirit yield

You alone are my heart’s desire

And I long to worship thee

You’re my friend and you are my brother

Even though you are a king

I love you more than any other

So much more than anything

You alone are my strength, my shield

To you alone may my spirit yield

You alone are my heart’s desire

And I long to worship thee

I want you more than gold or silver,

only you can satisfy.

You alone are the real joy giver

and the apple of my eye.

You alone are my strength, my shield

To you alone may my spirit yield

You alone are my heart’s desire

And I long to worship thee”

I love the lyrics of this song. Yet, upon careful examination of the words, I have to ask myself:

Am I really living the words of this song?

Do I crave the Living Water that only God can supply?

Do I crave it in the same way an animal (or person) who is dying of thirst longs for water?

Is God my only heart desire?

Is my relationship with God so close that I share my deepest desires and needs with Him?

Do I believe that He will meet those needs?

Am I faithful to bring the needs of my friends, family, and others to Him also?

Do I know my God as the indescribable, all knowing, all powerful, eternal, holy God?

Do I love Him more than anything? ANYTHING???

Do I want Him more than gold or silver? Do I really?

Do I go to him for satisfaction, or do I go to things, people, or places for temporary satisfaction?

Is He alone my source of joy? In all circumstances?

Is He alone my quest and drive in life?

Is my satisfaction found in Him alone?

I just failed my own test.

But, praise the Lord for his unfathomable grace! Grace: God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense.

John: 1:16 “For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.”

Romans 3:23 & 24 … “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.”

Oh Lord, your Word shows me that I fall so short of loving you in the way that you call me to love. If I don’t show love for you, then how can I truly love others? Matthew 22:37-39 states, “Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

Help me to see you with new eyes and a new heart. Help me to begin to understand your attributes so that I can truly worship you as you so deserve. Help me to see beyond what human eyes see that I might begin to understand even just a bit of your being, your holiness. Help me to crave you, your spirit, your Word, your living water in the same way that a thirsty deer pants for physical water. Thank you for your grace that you shower on me; your all sufficient, life-saving grace. Thank you for your Son. In His name I lift this prayer to you.

Dear friends, may you be refreshed today through the Living Water and life-giving grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Encourage each other as together we continue to grow in Christ.

Blessings to you,     Linda

As the Deer